Social Media and Comment Policy—Approved 03-22-19
Social Media and Comments shall include the various types of electronic networking such as Facebook, Twitter, texting, and others. Fernandina Beach Main Street’s purpose in Social Media is to communicate information and promotion of our district activities. The Executive Director and the President shall serve as the primary spokespeople for Fernandina Beach Main Street. Others, with approval from the Executive Director, may be permitted to be administrators and post to the sites on behalf of Fernandina Beach Main Street. All posts to social media should be in good taste and reflect the Board’s position, not the opinion of the individual.
Board Members and staff should remember that even while you are on your own personal time, you are a representative of Fernandina Beach Main Street and people may interpret your online postings or social interactions as though they were official Fernandina Beach Main Street statements.
By nature of the media, individuals outside of Fernandina Beach Main Street have the ability to post content. All content must be G-Rated. Fernandina Beach Main Street reserves the right to edit or remove content based on the following list.
1. Profane language or content;
2. Comments not topically related to the particular article being commented upon;
3. Disparaging personal remarks or acrimony towards another person or the organization;
4. Content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by state or federal law;
5. Sexual content or links to sexual content;
6. Solicitations of commerce and other pure commercial speech;
7. Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity;
8. Comments in support of or opposition to political campaigns or ballot measures;
9. Information that may compromise the safety or security of the public;
10. Content that violates a legal ownership interest of any other party.
The Executive Director, President, and Social Media Administrators should monitor the sites frequently and delete content not in keeping with the stated goals and guidelines of Fernandina Beach Main Street.